"In eight years the military commissions ... put three people on trial. ... Meanwhile, the federal courts, our Article III, regular legal court system, has put dozens of terrorists in jail. ... The suggestion that somehow a military commission is the way to go isn't borne out."
Colin Powell, former Secretary of State
Civil Liberties Resources
The Role of Courts in Fighting Terrorism
- "Courting Danger," Justice at Stake report on weakening role of federal courts
- "Restoring Habeas Corpus," Constitution Project report"
- 10 Things You Should Know About Habeas Corpus," Brennan Center for Justice report
- "In Pursuit of Justice (2008)," Human Rights First report on federal courts and terrorism cases"
- In Pursuit of Justice (2009)," updated Human Rights First report
Checks and Balances
- "Unchecked and Unbalanced," Brennan Center for Justice report
- "12 Steps to Restore Checks and Balances," Brennan Center for Justice report
Domestic Surveillance/Patriot Act/State Secrets Privilege
- "Battle Looms Over Patriot Act," New York Times article
- Articles on Patriot Act extension, Justice at Stake's Gavel Grab blog
- "Patriot Debates," American Bar Association forum
- Statement on State Secrets Privilege, American Bar Association President Carolyn Lamm
- State Secrets Privilege, American Bar Association report and policy, 2007
- Domestic Surveillance, American Bar Association report Policy, 2006
U.S. Supreme Court opinions