"In eight years the military commissions ... put three people on trial. ... Meanwhile, the federal courts, our Article III, regular legal court system, has put dozens of terrorists in jail. ... The suggestion that somehow a military commission is the way to go isn't borne out."
Colin Powell, former Secretary of State
JAS worked in Maryland to build a pipeline of people of color, women, and members of the LGBT community as potential judges, to support the legal community in promoting diversity on the bench throughout the state. We partnered with local institutions to demystify judicial selection, and promoted leadership development through networking, mentoring and other means, and supported stakeholder organizations to engage in this work in a sustained and strategic manner. Our public work included a statewide judicial selection symposium series and “Path to the Bench” career panels for law students. We also worked to encourage inclusion in judicial selection, which included educating the bar about implicit bias and other impediments to judicial diversity.
News and Statements
Check back soon for information about fall events.
“So You Want to Be a Judge” Symposium and Reception Series
- Baltimore City Circuit Court event on March 20th. Speakers: Baltimore City Judicial Nominating Commissioners David Ralph, Kathy Howard, and Marian Hwang, Baltimore City Circuit Court Judges Lynn K. Stewart, Jeannie Hong, and Melissa Copeland, and Maryland State Bar Association Judicial Appointments Committee Co-Chair Donna E. McBride. Co-sponsors: Alliance of Black Women Attorneys, J. Franklyn Bourne Bar Association, Monumental City Bar Association, Waring Mitchell Law Society, Maryland LGBT Law Association, Asian Pacific American Bar Association, Hispanic Bar Association, Maryland State Bar Association Membership Committee, Young Lawyers Division of the Bar Association of Baltimore City, and Merrill LAD/Merrill Corporation
- Montgomery County Bar Association event on April 11th. Speakers: Montgomery County District Court Judges Jeannie Cho and Karla Smith, Montgomery County Judicial Nominating Commissioner Donna Van Scoy, APABA-MD Judicial Selection Committee Co-Chair Ari Ghosal, and HBA-MD Judicial Selection Committee Co-Chair Pilar Nichols. Sponsors: Asian Pacific American Bar Association (APABA-MD), Hispanic Bar Association (HBA-MD), Montgomery County Bar Association Specialty Bar Committee and Montgomery County Women’s Bar Association
- Prince George’s County event on June 20th. Speakers: Court of Special Appeals Judge Michele Hotten, Prince George’s County Circuit Court Judges Michael Pearson and Daneeka Varner Connon, Montgomery County Circuit Court Judge Sharon Burrell, Prince George’s County Nominating Commissioner ShaRon Kelsey, J. Franklyn Bourne Bar Association Judicial Selections Committee Member Isaac Marks, and Alliance of Black Women Attorneys Judicial Selections Committee Member Marja Plater. Sponsors: Alliance of Black Women Attorneys and J. Franklyn Bourne Bar Association.
“Advice from the Bench” and Judicial Career Path Panels for law students
- Career panel and reception at the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law on February 12th. Panelists: Federal District Court of Maryland Judge Alexander Williams, III, Prince George’s County Circuit Court Judges Toni Clarke and William Missouri (retired), and Howard County District Court Judge Pamila Brown. Co-sponsors: Maryland State Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, and the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law Career Development Office, Black Law Students Association, Latino/a Law Students Association, Asian Pacific American Law Students Association and Muslim Students.
- Daylong Byron L. Warnken Judicial Clerkship Institute, followed by a “Path to the Bench” career panel and bar-bench-student networking reception at the University of Baltimore School of Law (UB) on May 2nd. Speakers: Court of Appeals Judge Clayton Greene, Jr., Baltimore City Circuit Court Judges Audrey J.S. Carrion, Jeannie Hong, and Shannon Avery, and Howard County District Court Judge and Maryland State Bar Association Secretary Pamila Brown. Sponsors: UB Law Career Development Office, Alliance of Black Woman Attorneys, Asian Pacific American Bar Association (APABA-MD), Hispanic Bar Association (HBA-MD), Monumental City Bar Association, UB Asian Pacific American Law Students Association, UB American Constitution Society, UB Black Law Students Association, and UB Women’s Bar Association.